Sunday, March 25, 2007

3/4 of a bread stick?

One of my favorite foods is Italian. Love it. Could eat it every meal of every day. But, in my previous diet life, I avoided Italian restaurants like the plague. Too much bread, pasta and fabulous salad dressing. Had I gone to an Italian place in my diet life, I would have been "off the wagon", of course. And of course, I would have eaten the entire bread basket, a "fattening" salad, my entire meal and dessert. I would have left feeling like I needed my stomach pumped and that a nap was in my very near future.

Oh my, how times have changed.

Yesterday, Mike, my dear fiance and I went to eat at an Italian place for lunch! I was excited and ready to listen to my body for this fabulous meal. I ordered my favorite dish from the menu, mushroom stuffed ravioli, instead of what I perceived to be the healthiest thing to order. So, along came the salad and the bread, probably my favorite part. Can I just say that I ate the salad without touching the bread? I once again ate slowly, enjoying every bite and I didn't avoid the croutons. Once I finished the salad, I patiently waited for my meal to come. I did not gobble down bread until the basket was clean. Let me say it again, I did not gobble down bread until the basket was clean.

So, my meal arrived and it looked divine. With the meal, I did have bread and each and every bite of my lunch was enjoyed. I must say, it was very pleasurable. Once I decided that I was satisfied, I put my napkin in my plate and noticed something that was astonishing to my eyes. There was 1/4 of the bread stick left.

This was a life changing moment for me. Can I really walk out of an Italian restaurant not feeling stuffed? Can I really just eat 3/4 of a bread stick?


Why, yes, yes I can :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our favourite restaurant is a little italian place. Normally I would order the same thing every single time and although the serving is huge...I would eat it all. I would also eat all my share of the garlic bread and squeeze 2 glasses of wine into my almost bursting stomach. We would go home, feeling uncomfortable and full and go to bed early to sleep it off.

Our first meal out after I discovered IE was at this place. I decided to try something totally different and it was great. I only ate a bit or two of the garlic bread as I wanted to leave room for the meal. I don't think I even ate half of the meal, it was so filling and much nicer eating till just satisfied. I left the rest..I also left half a glass of wine as I just could not fit it in.

After the meal we walked in the park because our tummies did not hurt, we felt great and we stayed up to enjoy coffee and a movie together.

it was amazing.
Glad you enjoyed your meal out too :)

Monica and Steve said...

Yes you can! You're a rock star!

Christie @ Honoring Health said...

Diet Free leesha,

I tried to read your blog but it told me I didn't have permission. Could I get permission, I would really enjoy it.

~c~