Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Am I still hungry?

For the past couple of nights, I have eaten dinner to a point of what I thought was satisfying. But within 15 minutes of "finishing", I still feel hungry. I think that I am afraid of eating too much. I guess I have been trying to leave food on my plate, though I am serving myself small portions. My mind is playing tricks on me.

I have always been a member of the clean plate club, for as long as I can remember. In fact, my very first memory as a child is my father enforcing the clean plate rule. My mind has just always thought that if the plate was empty, then it is OK to quit eating. For the first few days of IE, I really had a hard time leaving food on my plate, but I worked my way through it and accepted that it is OK to leave the food there. Better to go to waste than to my waist.

So, what is happening, some sort of weird reverse psychology? Now, I have it in my head that if I do finish my plate then I MUST have eaten too much. Boy, what I fine line this one truly is. The truth of the matter is that if I haven't served myself 17 potions, then it may in fact be OK to clean my plate. And even still, I could go back for seconds on occasion.

Hmmm. What a concept.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this problem too! Sometimes I'm not hungry after one or 2 bites, so I stop eating, but then I'm hungry again in half an hour. It's really hard to find a balance.

(Sorry, I don't have an answer to your problem. I'm keen to hear what others have to say!)

Anonymous said...

Me too! I wake up in the middle of the night hungry, so I think I have to eat a little more before bed, in fact.