Monday, April 30, 2007

This is a victory

This weekend was hard. After my face stuffing retreat, I came home on Saturday to find that the only jeans that fit me were my fat jeans. And as life goes, they were dirty. So, I had two options, go to the grocery store with business casual clothes or running pants and a t-shirt. I chose the running pants and t-shirt. I guess I fooled everyone at the grocery store into thinking I had just worked out and was in dire need of replenishment. Meanwhile, I felt frumpy and fat.

And on went the weekend. My diet mentality raced around chastising me for wearing gym clothes to the grocery store because my fat clothes were dirty. Can you believe that I even considered joining WW again and doing the flex plan? The thought of counting points is so vile to my mind that I really can't even believe that it felt like a logical choice for even a moment. But it did. Now, being the logical person that I am, I realized that this means something must change.

And as if she somehow knew, Monica came to my rescue.

This morning we chatted about how I was feeling, what I was thinking and some possible solutions. She told me a story about her own journey with IE that made so much click in my brain. All of a sudden, I realized that I have to stop this fear I have OF MYSELF. I also have to stop thinking in terms of how other people go about their journeys and instead I have to focus on making this way of life my own. And most importantly, I have to recognize how far I have come.

Throughout our conversation, she told me that she thought this or that was great. Things that I knew deep down in side were great but I hadn't brought those things to the forefront of my mind. Like for example, I have started to exercise on a regular basis. I have discovered that I love taking walks with Mike and that I also like training on weights with him. And though we both royally suck at it, I also like taking dance classes with him. I have forgiven myself for giving up running. My joints can't do it, it hurts. Walking doesn't. So, I walk and dance :) I have also stopped eating cherries in my cereal. Why? Because I don't like how the frozen cherries are hard to chew and make the cereal experience less joyful. I always thought I liked them in my cereal. Maybe once I did but not anymore. So, guess what fruit serving, you aren't getting in by way of frozen cherries in my cereal. Oh yeah, and another thing, chocolate cake really is good but just a couple of bites will do the trick, even if right out of the pan.

This conversation helped me in such a profound way. It is so important to recognize the positive things and stop focusing on the negative things. Everyone needs a Monica.

Oh yeah, I also decided that I am going to start setting specific goals to focus on. This week, I am really going to work on chewing. I am also going to start trying to take smaller portions of certain foods that don't seem to register satiety with me, like cereal and pasta. I am going to try measuring out a small amount and then going back for more if I need it.

And if you are still reading, you get a gold star.

6 comments:

Tree Lover said...

Great post! Your insights are really helpful. You are so right that this needs to be your own journey. I lose sight of that sometimes myself.

Oh, and I love my gold star!

Anonymous said...

Wow I love this post. You know why?

Because I have finally stopped beating myself up about stopping running too. and the frozen berries I thought I loved to eat in my yoghurt are hard, too cold and not great to bite into as well.

I also started a new diet yesterday and came to my senses by the afternoon...I will blog about it on Monday

Have a great week

LMM said...

Thank you, enjoyed the insights and the gentle reminders.

wife2abadge said...

It's amazing how many foods you eat that you really don't like when on a diet, isn't it? It seems perfectly normal at the time to force yourself to eat some weird dessert concoction made from sugar free pudding, fat free Cool Whip, and skim ricotta cheese -- that really tastes awful but you're desperate for something sweet...

Jen C. said...

Yay, C! You're the one who deserves the gold star! This is great, great news! Sounds like you made a ton of progress this week. And I understand just how you feel. Now that the weather has been warming up, S and I have been walking a lot more together, which I love. It's a way to get in some movement while also spending time together. In fact, we've agreed that we're going to walk to our errnads tonight (Whole Foods) and tomorrow (pharmacy), rather than driving. And I feel even better knowing that in addition to getting my exercise and time with S, I'm also helping the environment and saving money on gas! Go us! :-)

Anonymous said...

Good post.

I need a gold star today, girl. Thanks!