Friday, April 13, 2007

Two things....

There are actually three, but I am running short on time and will post about the third later. The first is a victory for me!! The second, in an odd strange way (positive self talk) is too.

First, I did not weigh myself this morning. I repeat, I did not weigh myself this morning. On Monday, when I was feeling pretty dumpy about my body and my food intake on my vacation, I did not weigh because I did not want to beat myself up any further. I told myself, that if "necessary", I would weigh on Friday. Well, this morning, I realized that no matter what the scale says, my clothes are fitting better than they were on Monday and I feel pretty good, so why bother with that stupid number? No need too, as I saw it.

Secondly, I ate to a 10 last night :( The strangest thing happened, I was making one of my favorite meals, BBQ Tofu Pizza and roasted broccoli, and I was pretty hungry. For some reason, I had been insatiable all afternoon. So, as I browned the tofu in the pan, I nibbled on a few pieces and I drank some ginger ale. Well, low and behold, once dinner was ready, I said to Mike, "I don't think I am hungry". And then it happened. The mind games began, I had the Intuitive Eater on one shoulder and the Dieter on the other. The Dieter won and this is how it happened:

IE: I'm not hungry anymore
Dieter: But it is dinner time, you are allowed to eat so you have to
IE: But really, I don't think I am hungry
Dieter: Yes, yes you are

So, I pick up the plate and take a few bites

IE: Yeah, I am pretty sure I am not hungry
Dieter: But what if you get hungry in 30 minutes
IE: I will just eat in 30 minutes
Dieter: But it is dinner time now and you and Mike have things to do. If you don't eat now, you won't be able to

So, I pick up the plate and almost polish it off. Now, it really was not a large serving by any stretch of the imagination but I wasn't hungry. By the time I was done, I was stuffed and bloated. I felt like carp. I can't believe that I used to eat this way at pretty much every meal of every day. I actually went to sleep. My body was not up for anything except digesting all of the food I had stuffed into it. The plans that Mike and I had, shot to hell, I was asleep.

So, the lesson is this: LISTEN TO MY BODY, there will always be more food. I mean come on, I must be the biggest foodie on the planet. I will never let the cupboards be bare or the fridge be empty. And Mike, he would never let me be hungry, he doesn't like the evil demon that appears when I am starving even if we did have plans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay you on not weighing. that is a huge step forward, so is recognising your limits.

Jade said...

OMG, this was totally me today as well. It's a great explaination with both of the concepts "talking" to you, I suppose we just need to learn who to listen to!